Saturday 25 August 2007

Appfuse and the cost to start a new project

Long time ago that I use appfuse for my web applications projects, it's fantastic (thanks Matt).
Appfuse 2.0 is based in maven, and is one of the best improvements, this change add modularity to appfuse, the code of appfuse is in various modules (jars and wars). With this changes it loose some scope about what appfuse does and I have to run "mvn appfuse:fullsource" to view all source, and customize some classes.

Although appfuse do hard work to start, always is unavoidable make some changes to start, for example in last project I have to:
  • Update Jetty maven plugin for scan patterns.
  • Customize some Appfuse classes.
  • Customize some i18n features.
  • Add Spring Web Flow.
  • Customize CSS and Layout.
  • Delete struts-menu (with a simple menu.jsp it's enough for me).
  • Update some dependencies and resources.
  • Add some maven plugins like compress javascript and export database.
Some tasks are due to appfuse doesn't support a feature yet, and some are due to my personal requirements but the cost to start a new project it's too high yet.

No comments: